The Welsh Kennel Club was originally formed in 1896 with the Prince of Wales Albert, Edward as President.
The club faded out during the 1914-1918 war but in 1967 a few Kennel Club members who were resident in Wales decided to revive it. An informal meeting was called and in November of that year, these people formed the first committee and agreed to reopen negotiations with the Kennel Club.
A decision was made to broaden the base of the committee and this was done in two stages by inviting members of the Kennel Club’s Ladies branch resident in Wales and the three Kennel Club Liaison Council members for Wales to join. Many Kennel Club members then came forward as founder members to broaden the base still further and early in 1968 the first democratically elected committee was formed at an AGM held in Llandrindod Wells with David Samuel as Secretary.
In September of the same year at a general meeting of the Kennel Club, an earlier decision to recognise the Welsh Kennel Club was ratified
Since this time the Welsh Kennel Club has held a Championship show each Summer in Builth Wells.